EXPEDITING THE PROCESSING OF EC CLAIMS FOR VICTIMS OF LARGE-SCALE OBVIOUS WORK-RELATED ACCIDENTS
WHEREAS, the primary purpose of P.D. No. 626, as amended, is to provide meaningful protection to workers and/or their families against the perils or hazards of disability or death due to work-related incidents;
WHEREAS, there are large-scale work accidents where victims and/or their families need immediate provision of compensation benefits and assistance to mitigate risks or prevent vulnerability;
WHEREAS, to hasten the grant of EC benefits to the victims and/or families, this Commission finds the need to spare them from the submission of several documentary requirements in the processing of their benefits under P.D. No. 626, as amended;
WHEREAS, Article 183 (c) of P.D. No. 626, as amended, empowers this Commission “to approve rules and regulations governing the processing of claims;”
NOW THEREFORE, ON MOTION DULY MADE AND SECONDED,
This Commission RESOLVES, as it hereby RESOLVED, to direct the Systems to immediately process and release the corresponding EC benefits to the worker victims in large-scale obvious work-related accidents;
RESOLVED FURTHER, that the Systems shall be guided by the following in facilitating the processing of the EC benefits of the workers:
- In the event of a large-scale obvious work-related incidents or accidents, the Systems will be immediately informed by the Secretariat of the incident/accident;
- The Systems shall be provided by the Secretariat with the list of injured workers and casualties of the large-scale obvious work-related incident/accident that will be issued by the local government in the place where the accident happened or the appropriate government agency;
- The list shall be considered as sufficient for the processing and release of payment of sickness/injury benefits and the initial payments of death benefits;
- The Systems shall conduct field inspection, as necessary, to determine or validate the qualified beneficiaries of the fatalities;
- The Systems shall formulate the necessary guidelines to carry out the above mentioned directives and the facilitative processing of all EC benefits for the workers and/or their families:
RESOLVED FURTHER, that this Resolution shall not prejudice the Systems from processing with immediate urgency the EC claims of victims of large-scale obvious work-related incidents/accidents even pending receipt of information on the incident/accident from the Secretariat.
RESOLVED FINALLY, that this Resolution shall take effect immediately and a copy of this Resolution be furnished to the Systems for guidance and compliance.
DONE, this 1st day of February 2018, in Makati City, Philippines.
(SGD.) CIRIACO A. LAGUNZAD
Department of Labor and Employment
(SGD.) JOSEFINA O. FORNILOS
Social Security System
(SGD.) DIONISIO C. EBDANE, JR.
Government Service Insurance System
(SGD.) CARLITO P. ROBLE
(SGD.) CELESTINA Ma. JUDE P. DELA SERNA
Philippine Health Insurance Corporation
(SGD.) STELLA ZIPAGAN-BANAWIS
Employees’ Compensation Commission – Secretariat